Otaria Forever by keflexxx
194 cards in Multiverse
8 with no rarity, 1 blank jolt deals 2 damage to target coloured creature. if that creature is tapped, nullify. (turn target face-up land face down. face-down lands tap for c and can be turned face up any time you could cast a sorcery by sacrificing a permanent.), 1 one with nothing (this spell costs 1 less to cast for each face-down land you control.) menace, 1 destroy target artifact or enchantment. nullify. (turn target face-up land face down. face-down lands tap for c and can be turned face up any time you could cast a sorcery by sacrificing a face-up permanent.), 1 whenever breathstealer deals combat damage to a creature, you may remove a counter from it and put that counter on breathstealer. remove an essence counter from breathstealer: breathstealer gains menace until end of turn., 1 search your library for a basic land card, reveal it and put it onto the battlefield tapped and face down. then shuffle your library. (face-down lands tap for c and can be turned face up any time you could cast a sorcery by sacrificing a permanent.), 1 at the beginning of your end step, if a land you control was turned face down this turn, create a 1/1 colourless spirit creature token., 1 one with nothing (this spell costs 1 less to cast for each face-down land you control.) destroy target coloured creature. if it was tapped, its controller loses 3 life., 1 flying when deadfield wisp enters the battlefield, turn target face-up land you control face down. (face-down lands tap for c and can be turned face up any time you could cast a sorcery by sacrificing a permanent.), 1 whenever a plains enters the battlefield under your control, benalish colonist gets +1/+1 until end of turn. whenever benalish colonist deals combat damage to a player, create a 1/1 white human creature token., 1 destroy target land. nullify. (turn target face-up land face down. face-down lands tap for c and can be turned face up any time you could cast a sorcery by sacrificing a permanent.), 91 commons, 65 uncommons,
26 colourless, 30 white, 26 blue, 27 black, 27 red,
27 green, 14 multicolour, 5 artifact, 12 land
377 comments total
A set about collapse and rebirth on the plane the Multiverse forgot.
|Otaria Forever: Cardlist | Visual spoiler | Export | Booster | Comments | Search | Recent activity|
|Mechanics | Skeleton | Rules Modifications | Colour Identities | Archetypes|
"The Mending destroyed everything. Trees lay bare then died, mountains turned to rubble, families screamed then fell silent. Centuries later Otaria is slowly recovering, but its ghosts still linger."
Otaria Forever (OTF) is a set about collapse and rebirth set on the plane the Multiverse forgot.
My original goal had been to create a bottom-up set focused on counters, and I first started playing Magic regularly during Odyssey block so I've always had fond memories of the setting. It got me wondering what exactly happened on Dominaria after the Mending, and as far as I can tell WotC haven't offered up any real insights into this one; the story of the Multiverse has more or less left the plane behind. That's fair enough; plenty of other planes have been left behind as well. But we spent so much time there that it's hard not to wonder what happened next, and so OTF started to become an exploration of that:
- White explores religious devotion during times of crisis
- Blue explores Hobbesian self-interest and exploitation through a scientific lens
- Black explores ecological decay
- Red explores the violent tribalism of the survivors
- Green explores regeneration and new life
- Colourless explores what happened to those who died during the Mending
This set is being designed for Limited play, and is trying to aim for a complexity/power level similar to Masters-level expansions. This set is intentionally not NWO-compliant.
The planned breakdown is 101 commons, 64 uncommons and 40 rares (no mythics), and booster packs will contain 10 commons, 4 uncommons and 1 rare. This distribution results in uncommons appearing 1.125 times in an average 6-person draft, and commons appearing 1.78 times.
The keyword mechanics and ability words are:
- Blessing (You may tap X untapped creature/s you control as you cast this spell.)
- Bloodshed - If a creature an opponent controls died or an opponent was dealt damage this turn, X.
- Ecocide (When you cast this spell, you may turn X face-up land/s you control face down.)
- One with nothing (~ costs less to cast for each face-down land you control.)
- Nullify (Turn target face-up land face down.)
- Pray - An activated ability that does nothing on its own, but gets checked for on the next upkeep.
- Process (: Put an essence counter on target creature. This creature loses all abilities, is a Zombie and gains "Whenever this creature is dealt damage, sacrifice it.")
- Symbiotic - If you removed a counter to pay an activation cost this turn, X.
- Voidwalk (This creature can't be blocked as long as defending player controls a face-down land.)
More information about rules modifications, colour identities and archetypes can be found on the related detail pages. Still a lot yet to be written though.
Recently active cards: (all recent activity)